Saturday, October 4, 2008

Movies to the Glory of God

I recall all too well my early Christian adult life steeped in fundamentalist legalism. Back then, good and godly Christians abstained from alcohol, avoided movies (although it was OK to rent them when the VCR made its debut), eschewed "rock and roll," and by all means, they did not dance.

The movie issue was really important to me. As long as I can remember, I have been a science fiction fan. I loved the old black and white sci-fi movies as a teenager (they were all b/w because that was the only TV we had at the time). So, when I began ministry in a fundamentalist church, it was understood that attendance at the movies was out of the question. However, when Star Wars came out in 1977, I was conflicted. Should I succumb to my baser self and see the movie, or should I maintain a conviction that I pretended to have? I conveniently resolved the issue by taking my wife out of town to see Star Wars.

All this to say that times have changed. Some fundamentalists still bemoan the lack of "standards" in evangelical churches (they would consider the title of this post to be heresy) but, for the most part, Christians do not adhere to the former restrictions. This all came to mind upon reading this excellent article by Adam Parker called Watching Movies to the Glory of God. He gives helpful advice on how to do this. I appreciate the fact that he admits that not all movies can be viewed to God's glory. If you are a recovering fundamentalist like me, you will profit from this piece.

No comments: