Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Strange, but True?

I recall one of my earlier mentors who greatly admired the antics of fundamentalist Baptist leader J. Frank Norris. He told of Norris’ using pieces of the brain of a Forth Worth Texas city official who died as a result of drunk driving to illustrate a sermon on the evils of “demon rum.” He also is reported to have said, “I’d do anything to keep a man out of hell.”


If you are interested, you can read about Norris here and here. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these accounts, but I do know, from my own background, that for many in the fundamentalist camp, nothing is too sensational in the name of evangelism.

I thought of this as I read Phil Johnson’s report on Erwin McManus. Read it here, and make sure that you read the addendum in the box.

No comments: