Monday, June 18, 2018

Anxiety


I don't know if there is a gene for worry. If there is, I inherited that tendency from my mother. Probably, it is not genetic, other than the sinful nature that I have inherited from Adam. There are times when I think that I may have a legitimate cause to worry about something. However, for me, it quite quickly degrades into anxiety. There are those times when I feel as though I am inching ever so closely to the abyss of complete despair. I don't like this personality flaw within me, but it is part of what I deal with as I try to bring "every thought captive" (2 Cor. 10:5). Some people get angry; I get fardeiget.

Tim Challies posted a brief article today on this topic. I found it help, encouraging and convicting at the same time. He ends the article referencing 1 Pet. 5:6-7: 
Rather, we are to "humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt us, casting all our anxieties upon him because he cares for us" (1 Peter 5:6-7). His care, not our anxiety, is our refuge. When we hand it all to him, we can be truly be anxious for nothing. We can care deeply without worrying for as much as a moment.
From my struggles with this malady, I would add verse 8; "Be sober; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." It is not accidental that this text is embedded in this context. One of Satan's tools to cripple us is anxiety. When we are devoured by anxiety, we are paralyzed and ineffective. We become a drain on those around us, even those we love and who love us the most. Instead of being an encourager; instead of having words of grace on our lips; instead of the high praises of God in our mouths, we are consumed by and with the anxiety that we allow to live rent free in our heads. And the lion licks his chops. 

No comments: